In which I forge ahead into unknown territory, and stake my claim in a new land. One of bold new colorways and risky shades that I’ve never tried before. I’ve never really worn much lipstick since I wasn’t the biggest fan of my smile. But with more and more to smile about these days, I turn to two of my New Year’s resolutions: Get Over It, and Try More New Things. Enter red lipstick.
So I ignored my typical tame shades of lip tint and went with this brick red color, followed by a shiny red gloss.
It did make me feel sassy, although this colorstay type I had from Almay that is supposed to be moisturizing really wasn’t. I had to keep reapplying it. There must be some sort of draw, because without fail, whenever I put on a fresh coat, Jason wants a kiss “Hello” or “Goodbye” or “Nice seeing you in the hall”. I would say that’s a win.
Tips on red lips:
- Don’t use red liner. If it doesn’t match it ruins the look.
- Brush lips gently with a towel or toothbrush beforehand to smooth dry areas.
- Play “down” your eyes, so those ruby reds are the star.
- If you’re using a stain, that will be your base layer.
- Be sure to conceal all areas of redness on your face, these will be more noticeable.
Find your perfect red and channel your inner siren. I will be doing as much of that as I can this year.